Work (still) in progress

Last year I cut 285 triangles to make a Triangle quilt for my Mum after she saw the one I made for my friend's birthday and asked for the same one.

But then the enthusiasm to do the same quilt again wore out and I stashed away my pile of triangles for later, hoping it would be done by last Christmas.

Before the dust settled too much, I decided to make it for her birthdays and got the pile out earlier this month, banking on a 2-weeks turnaround to finish the quilt. Overambitious, me?

Of course, I changed my plans (twice) while I started sewing my triangles, which meant that I had to cut more triangles (twice) to get to a grand total of 322 and a 14 x 23 arrangement. I was planning to have the top pieced the first week of June ready for quilting at the week-end but of course, I just didn't keep up and the top wasn't ready until early last week.


By which time my backing fabric that I ordered at the last minute hadn't turned up. When it finally arrived, it took an evening to set up the frame. I went to bed Wednesday night with just 2 rows quilted.

Never mind, I had all of Thursday night to finish the quilting and attach the binding. And it was all going very well,

until.... I ran out of thread.

I had crossed the middle line and was happily quilting away. At first I thought the thread was broken until I saw the empty spool. I raided my thread stash to find nothing at all, no blue thread to continue and finish the quilting.... So that was to be it, no present to hand to Mum last week-end, she will have to wait until the next time I see her (I told her there had been a technical issue with the delivery of her present!). In the meantime, I ordered more of the same thread which arrived on Monday and I happily finished the quilting on Monday night.

For the quilting, I used this fantastic Flower Power tutorial from Lori Kennedy as an all-over design and I must say, I absolutely love it. I am glad this is going to my Mum as I'll be able to enjoy it now and then!

Now the quilt needs to be squared off (or rather triangled off) and binding needs to be made and attached. All by the end of this month as this is my A lovely year of Finishes project as well as my Lazy Bums challenge for June. So although I was hoping for a finish last week-end, this is still a WIP at the moment and I am working towards the finishing line!

Linking to WIP Wednesday, Needle and Thread Thursday, Let's Bee Social.

Celine


Comments

  1. I'm sure your mom will love this quilt when she does get it. Its funny I found you on the Sew Fresh link up where I posted a blog post very similar where everything just wasn't going the way I planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely selection of blues in your triangle quilt! And I'm sure your mum will love it... it's worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet she'll love it. I've wanted to make a triangle quilt for a while and always chicken out--maybe it's time to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Celine,
    this will be a beautiful finish, I love your quilting pattern and your mom will just adore it.
    You have overcome all barriers and will be able to finish this.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

September in the Hexagon!

Blog hop and a giveaway

Dare to Dresden - Day 5