Bloggers' Quilt Festival

It is this time of year again, the amazing Bloggers's Quilt Festival that Amy organises so brilliantly. So many beauties to discover, so many lovely blogs to get lost into!

Blogger’s Quilt Festival Countdown :: One Week!
With 11 categories to enter quilts under, there should be a fantastic range of quilts to admire! After much thoughts, I have decided to enter my Flower Power quilt in the Original Design Category.

This time I have chosen to feature the quilt I finished for my grand-mum over the summer. I had a collection of blocks (20) that I received from a BOM exchange in 2010-2011 and that had sat there since. My Grand-Mum turned 85 earlier this year and lost her life-long companion, my Grand-Dad, earlier in the year after over 65 years of marriage. My Grand-Mum was a keen gardner and an outdoor lady as she worked on the farm all her life with my Grand-Dad. I thought those flowery blocks would brighten her days a little bit.

With the 20 blocks I had, I decided a lap quilt would be a good size for her but 20 blocks wasn't enough. So I looked at the scrap I had and tried several ideas and then set my mind on a simple blocks that I could alternate with my BOM blocks. (I was also short on time! of course) so I made filler blocks (20)

and added a border made of granny blocks

My quilt top reminds me of a garden which is exactly what I was after

and I even got a bit adventurous with my quilting trying out some feathers (love the texture!)
I gifted it to my Grand-Mum in the summer and was very happy to have one less UFO that has made someone close to me happy



Quilt Stats:
Flower Power
Fabric: Assortment of fabric from Hofman Fabrics (2003) and white on white from my  stash
Started February 2010, Finished August 2014
Size: 54' x 60'
Pieced and home machine quilted with Aurifil thread.

Linking to Blogger's Quilt Festival
Celine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

It is snowing...

September in the Hexagon!