Friday, 26 May 2017

Long Time Gone

The only patchwork sewing I have managed to do this month so far has been to keep up (just) with the minimum requirements not to fall off the Long Time Gone wagon. And I am saying minimum because I don't have all the blocks made until now but enough to post on IG weekly. I am frantically playing catch up and really hope to be back up to date by the end of the month... Wish me luck!

So I made 2 courthouse steps blocks in the corresponding week [need 7 more]
1 log cabin block [need 3 more]

and last week's first HST blocks.

Playing catch up I managed to finish all the court house blocks

and to make 8 more mini churn dash blocks [need 9 more still!]

So that's now 19 blocks for the 350-blocks projects for May. Let's hope I can squeeze a little more!

Linking to I may have a scrap problemLet;s Bee Social
Celine

Thursday, 25 May 2017

Communion dress

If you read me regularly, you may have noticed that the dressmaking bug has bitten with year, so what's more natural than sharing the fun and making clothes for the children too. And of course, a good project to start with would be my daughter's first holy communion dress... oh yes, why not? Probably sounds crazy to most sane people but anyway, once I decided I would give it a try of course I had to!

I ordered some satin online and organza to jazz it up a little and found an "easy" Burda pattern that would fit what I was trying to make so off I went!
The satin wasn't so bad but cutting organza is just horrible... it moves all over the place, as to finding the grain line, well just forget it! The white satin was quite thin in the end so I bought some white cotton too to line the skirt as I didn't want it to transparent. I got to that point with the zip on!


 and decided that it needed jazzing up a little so I ordered some lace to put on the bodice of the dress that I added on the front and back. I hand sew the lace as I thought it would be easier on the nearly finished garment.


And the weather had been a little bit on the cold side while I was making the dress so I was worried she might be cold and would maybe need a sleeve so I added the bolero to the to-do list!
I bought a satin fabric with big circles sewn to it as I was worried with regular satin it would be a little plain. The body of the bolero is lined but not the sleeves.


Anyway, the communion was nearly 2 weeks ago now.... we had a great time. Once the sewing was over there was a lot of cooking involved to cater for our 20 guests that had come from France! That's also why I have completely deserted the blog in the last few weeks!

Of course, the dress is not perfect but hey. I made it. I would never have believed I could do something like this 6 months ago!

My daughter was beautiful of course! I was so proud of her and of her dress too! She wore a hand made necklace (choker) for the occasion.

Now this is a big tick of my Finish Along list, a big OPAM and also my One Monthly Goal. Lining to Needle and Thread Thursday, Whoop Whoop Friday.
Celine

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

May goals

Let's hope May will finally bring some spring weather (in temperature as well). This month we have our daughter's first holy communion which will be a family time for us. I am looking forward to it.


Hoping for finish
1. C's dress and bolero - this will be my One Monthly Goal
2. Neoprene coat

3. Teacher's gift



Bee Blocks 
1. Flower hexies for the Inchy Hexie Swap (April and May


WIP
1. Farmer's wife, let's try for another 10 blocks 

2. Solstice challenge -
3. HST modern sampler quilt - half way 
4. Postcards of the world


5. Dear Jane - aiming for 5 blocks
6. Long Time Gone - let's try and keep up!
7. Mischief blocks


New Project
1. Custom cushions  x 2  
2. Flora Sew Along
3. Shirt Dress (Darling)
4. Bridgetown Dress
5. Leather (faux!) jacket 

Celine

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
There was an error in this gadget