Another pre-blog quilt - Applique

The themes for Val's Tuesday Archive linky party today are Applique and Apple. I knew straight away which quilt I would refer to for the applique and really thought it wasn't that long ago since I made it but actually I finished it a few month before I started my blog so I will be twisting the linky party "rules" again this week. I have a picture in this post here from the blog festival in 2010 and a little bit about the story too but I thought I would write a post about the quilt now.

The quilt I am featuring today is made of 40 blocks from the Dutch Treat book. All the blocks are made in blue and white and are inspired from the delft ceramic tiles.

My Mum came to visit some time in 2008, while her new house was being built and looked at the book, admiring the quilt and blocks. So after she left, I set to make her a house-warming quilt with some of the blocks. I picked 40 blocks either for their designs or names and made all the blocks by hand using reverse applique. I made the blocks on my commute to work over quite a few months as some were really intricate and took quite a few trips to complete!
Apart from the sashing, I used fabrics that I had already used to make her bed quilt so it would be in harmony. I assembled the top by machine and choose a seminole border for the top and then quilted by machine.

I gifted my Mum her quilt in February 2009, a few months after she moved into her new house and about 10 months after I started it. And I wrote a letter explaining the reason behind the choice of each blocks. My Mum loves her quilt, which is finally now proudly hanged into her bedroom above her bed.
Linking to Val's Tuesday Archive linky party

Celine

Comments

  1. Il est absolument superbe ce quilt, bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! This quilt shows off your amazing skill perfectly!!! LOVE IT! (Thanks for the shout out!!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

September in the Hexagon!

Dare to Dresden - Day 5

Blog hop and a giveaway